Whether you’re composing an email, writing scientific content, or working on an assignment, there are times when you need to insert a degree symbol (°) to denote temperature, angles, or other relevant measurements. Unfortunately, the degree symbol isn’t a standard key on most keyboards, which can make it a bit challenging to input. Luckily, there are several straightforward methods to make the degree symbol on your keyboard, regardless of the device or software you’re using.
In this article, we will guide you through the steps to create a degree symbol using various keyboard shortcuts and techniques. These methods will cover different operating systems, such as Windows and macOS, as well as commonly used software applications like Microsoft Word and Google Docs. By the end of this article, you’ll be confident in your ability to quickly and easily insert the degree symbol whenever you need it in your work.
Keep reading to learn about the different ways to make a degree symbol using your keyboard. With some practice, you’ll find that incorporating this special character into your writing will become second nature, making your text more accurate and professional.
Degree Symbol in Microsoft Word and Other Text Editing Applications
To insert the degree symbol in Microsoft Word and other text editing applications, follow these simple steps:
- Access the menu: In Microsoft Word, click on the Insert tab located on the ribbon.
- Insert symbol: In the Insert tab, click on Symbol – usually found towards the right side of the toolbar. This will open a drop-down menu.
- Locate the degree symbol: In the drop-down menu, choose More Symbols. This will open the Symbol dialog box. Scroll through the list of symbols or use the search bar to find the degree symbol (°).
- Insert the symbol: Once you locate the degree symbol, click on it and then click Insert. The degree symbol will then be inserted into the document at the cursor’s position. Finally, close the Symbol dialog box.
Besides Microsoft Word, the process is quite similar in other text editing applications. Here’s what to do in some popular programs:
- Google Docs: Click Insert > Special characters, and then either search for “degree” in the search bar or navigate to find the degree symbol (°). Click on it to insert it into your document.
- Pages (Mac): Click Edit > Emoji & Symbols in the menu bar, search for “degree” and double-click the degree symbol (°) to insert it into your document.
- LibreOffice Writer: Click Insert > Special Character, locate the degree symbol (°) in the selection window, then click on it and click OK to insert it into your document.
Remember, the steps to add the degree symbol may slightly vary depending on the text editing application you are using. However, the overall process of accessing the special character menu and locating the degree symbol typically remains the same.
Degree Symbol on Laptops
When it comes to typing the degree symbol on a laptop, there are several methods you can use. Since laptops typically do not have a numeric keypad, you will need to use alternative keyboard shortcuts and techniques to input the degree symbol (°).
Using keyboard shortcuts: The most common method is to use keyboard shortcuts specific to your laptop’s operating system. For Windows users, press
Alt + 0176. On a Mac, press
Option + Shift + 8. If you are using a Linux system, enter
Ctrl + Shift + u followed by
00B0, then press Enter.
Character Map or Viewer: Another way to insert the degree symbol is by accessing the character map on your laptop. Windows users can find the Character Map by searching for it in the Start menu. Mac users can use the Character Viewer by opening the Edit menu in an application and selecting Emoji and Symbols. In both cases, simply locate the degree symbol, double-click on it, and it will be inserted into your text.
Copy and paste: A simple but often overlooked technique is to copy the degree symbol from an existing source and paste it into your document. You can easily find the symbol online or even in this article. Press
Ctrl + c (or
Cmd + c on a Mac) to copy and
Ctrl + v (or
Cmd + v on a Mac) to paste it.
Custom keyboard shortcut: You can create your custom keyboard shortcuts to make typing the degree symbol easier and faster on your laptop. For Windows, you can use third-party applications like AutoHotkey to create a custom shortcut. On a Mac, you can create custom shortcuts through system preferences. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, and follow the necessary steps to create a custom shortcut for the degree symbol. By doing so, you can have a more convenient method tailored to your needs.
Each of these methods is useful for different situations and can be chosen based on your preferences. By familiarizing yourself with these techniques, typing the degree symbol on your laptop will become second nature.
Using Degree Symbol in Mobile Devices
Degree Symbol on Android
To type the degree symbol on your Android device, follow these steps:
- Open your messaging app or any other app that utilizes the keyboard.
- Tap on the text input field to display the keyboard.
- Press and hold the ?123 button to switch to the numeric and symbols layout.
- Locate the degree symbol (°). It might be placed on the first or second symbols page, so you may need to tap the =< button to access more symbols.
- Tap the degree symbol (°) to insert it into your text.
Alternatively, you can access the degree symbol through the emoji menu:
- Tap on the emoji icon on the keyboard to open the emoji menu.
- Swipe through the various categories to find the Symbols section.
- Locate and tap the degree symbol (°) to insert it into your text.
Degree Symbol on iPhone and iPad
To add the degree symbol on an iPhone or iPad, follow these instructions:
- Open the app where you want to insert the degree symbol, such as Messages or Notes.
- Tap on the text input field to display the on-screen keyboard.
- Press and hold the 123 button, and then swipe up to the degree symbol (°) without lifting your finger.
- Release your finger, and the degree symbol (°) will be inserted into the text field.
Additionally, you can access the degree symbol using the emoji keyboard:
- Tap on the emoji icon to switch to the emoji keyboard.
- Swipe left to find the Symbols category.
- Look for the degree symbol (°) and tap it to insert it into your text.
Degree Symbol for Temperatures
When discussing temperatures, it’s common to use the degree symbol (°) followed by the appropriate temperature scale, such as Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F). In this section, you will learn how to type the degree symbol on various types of keyboards.
On a Windows computer, you have a couple of options. One is to use the Character Map tool:
- Type “Character Map” in the search bar and select the app.
- Find the degree symbol in the list of characters and click on it.
- Press the “Select” button, followed by “Copy”.
- Paste the symbol in your text using
Ctrl + V.
Another option for Windows users is to use the keyboard shortcut
Alt + 0176. Just make sure to use the numeric keypad on your keyboard:
- Press and hold the
- Type the numbers
0176using the numeric keypad.
- Release the
Altkey, and the degree symbol will appear.
On a Mac computer, using the degree symbol is even simpler:
- Press and hold the
- Press the
8key while still holding
- Release the keys, and the degree symbol will appear.
For laptop users without a numeric keypad, another method is to use the Unicode input:
- Press and hold the
- Type the letter “u” followed by the unicode value
- Release the
Shiftkeys, and the degree symbol will appear.
Remember, when using the degree symbol in text, always follow it with the appropriate temperature scale, such as Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F), to provide accurate measurements and prevent any misunderstandings.
Degree Symbol in Web Browsers
When using web browsers on various devices, inserting a degree symbol can be done using different methods. In this section, we’ll provide some helpful tips for inputting the degree symbol on a Chromebook and other web applications.
On a Chromebook, one way to type the degree symbol is to use the keyboard shortcut
0176. Simply press and hold the
ALT key, then type the numbers
0176, and release the
ALT key. The degree symbol (°) should appear in the desired location.
For other web applications, such as Google Docs or Microsoft Word, you can insert a degree symbol using the font drop-down menu. To do this, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Insert tab on the toolbar and click on Symbol.
- In the dialog box that appears, locate the Subset drop-down menu and choose Latin-1 Supplement.
- Scroll through the symbols and find the degree symbol (°). Click on it to insert it into your document.
- Alternatively, you can use the Find feature or locate the symbol in the Recently Used Symbols list if you have accessed it before.
Additionally, you can make use of character maps or copy the degree symbol (°) from another source and paste it directly into your document. Just be sure to verify the symbol displays correctly across different browsers and devices for consistency.
With these techniques, you can confidently and easily insert the degree symbol into your web content, ensuring clear communication in your documents and maintaining a professional appearance.
Degree Symbol in Mathematical Contexts
The degree symbol (°) is widely used in several mathematical contexts, particularly in geometry. When you need to express angles or temperatures, this symbol plays a vital role in conveying accurate information. In geometry, the degree symbol represents the unit of measurement for angles, derived from Latin-1 Supplement.
To type the degree symbol on your keyboard, you can utilize a keyboard shortcut. For instance, on a Windows system, press and hold the Alt key, then type ‘0176’ on the numeric keypad. Once you release the Alt key, the degree symbol will appear: Alt + 0176. This method is both simple and efficient, ensuring you can quickly access the degree symbol when needed.
Keep in mind that the degree symbol’s placement may vary depending on the context. In temperature measurements, the degree symbol precedes the unit (°C or °F). In contrast, in angle measurements, it follows the numerical value (e.g., 90°). By becoming familiar with these conventions, you can confidently and accurately use the degree symbol in various mathematical scenarios.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find the degree symbol on a laptop keyboard?
The degree symbol is not typically found directly on laptop keyboards. However, you can easily access it using keyboard shortcuts or by using the character map option on your computer.
What is the shortcut for typing the degree symbol in Windows?
For Windows users, hold down the
Alt key and type
0176 on the numeric keypad (with Num Lock on). Release the
Alt key, and the degree symbol will appear.
How do I insert a degree symbol in Word?
To insert the degree symbol in Word, click on the
Insert tab, then click
Symbol, and select
More Symbols. From there, locate the degree symbol in the character subset and click
How to input the degree symbol in Excel?
In Excel, select the cell where you want to insert the degree symbol. Press
0176 on your numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can click
Symbol, and choose the degree symbol from the list.
Can I copy and paste the degree symbol?
Yes, you can copy and paste the degree symbol (°) directly from various sources, such as websites or other documents, into the text you are working on.
What is the Alt code for typing temperature units like degree Celsius?
To type the degree Celsius symbol (°C) in Windows, first type the degree symbol using
0176, then type the capital letter “C.” There is no specific Alt code for the entire “°C” symbol.